The overall purpose of utilizing BIM for facility and real estate management is to enable building owners to leverage facility data throughout the building’s lifecycle in order to provide safe, healthy, effective and efficient work environments for their tenants. Ask yourself, “How long does it take to recreate a new tenant phone list or an employee space allocation guide?” BIM for facility and real estate management, can make these everyday tasks fast and easy, as well as help to prolong the life of the building by monitoring building and building systems maintenance, repair, replacement and alterations.
Facility data is created throughout the design and construction process, and then updated throughout the facility lifecycle. Maintaining this data in a BIM model creates greater efficiencies such as: having accurate as-built information to reduce the cost & time required for renovations; increasing customer satisfaction; and optimizing the operation and maintenance of building systems to reduce energy usage.
Today’s building owners are driving the demand for the use of intelligent BIMs for their properties, because financially, they have the most to gain. From increasing the efficiency of everyday simple tasks to managing complex building systems, BIM for facility and real estate management provides significant benefits, whether the property is new, renovated, or an existing structure.
Benefits of using a BIM model for FM include:
- Facilitation of engineering, using the best combination of up-front costs and future economies
- Improved communication throughout the design, construction and operation of the building
- Fewer design changes and costly conflicts throughout the building life cycle.
- More efficient scheduling and maintenance
- Less waste and fewer delays during construction; less waste and more timely completion of repairs during operation; cost savings
- Accurate and intelligent building documentation throughout the building’s lifecycle provides cost-saving benefits for building maintenance as well as future expansion and/or renovation.
Such benefits include:
- Space inventory and performance enable you to maximize space use for operational efficiency and reduction of occupancy cost
- Optimize space occupancy rates and improve planning capability to accommodate future expansion, consolidation, or re-balancing
- Improve accuracy of departmental cost reporting for greater accountability on dedicated and common area space costs
- Align facilities and infrastructure development with plans by evaluating historical use and forecasting future needs
CAD CAM Services BIM Modeling and FM strike a balance between design, construction and building management. The cohesive information within the BIM can be used and displayed in a variety of different methods, from a simple spreadsheet to a fully integrated relational database containing efficient graphic representation of the structure(s).
Even if your building was not designed as a BIM, CAD CAM Services can convert your 2D Construction documents into an intelligent BIM using Autodesk Revit® or other appropriate software.